Mar 16, 2011

Cell phone didn't work, Twitter worked

After earthquake, I tried to call my friends in Tokyo. However, a cell phone just said "Because of earthquake, it is very difficult now to use your cell phone." I couldn't catch them for several hours. I couldn't know if they are OK until I could contact them hours later.


 Also a lot of people couldn't contact their family and friends by cell phone. The reason is very simple. Almost all tried to use their phone at the same time to confirm relatives' or friends' safe, and it was absolutely over-capacity of cell phone lines.
Lines became very busy, and calling on the phone got difficult. This situation has been for several days.


This was big problem. 
If you can't make contact with your people in this kind of disaster, you can't take a rest in mind. You can't find a relief.
This is the situation of cell phone in the earthquake.


On the other hand, we could use Twitter as usual. Twitter doesn't use phone lines, so busy cell phone lines didn't affect on Twitter.
If you have a smart phone and are using Twitter on it, you could post your situation after earthquake. And your family and friends (if they followed you on Twitter) could have read your post immediately. You and your family even could have had chatting on Twitter and checked the situation of both of you.
Also people who used Twitter, they could get up-dated information. Many people on Twitter is posting new information. Some of them (not all) are very useful! For example, information of transportation like train or bus. 
We realized the usefulness of Twitter in the case of big disaster like this.


I will try to let my parents have twitter account. If I'm in the disaster, they will be able to find my post easily on Twitter. 
It doesn't need to be Twitter, but I would like to recommend you to have the way of contacting your people in the case of the disaster, except for cell phone.


I don't know what kind of disaster will come to you and me in the future. But we need to prepare for them in any ways. 
If you want to consider about Twitter, this web will help you a bit. 
Mashable:Only 58% of Tweets Come From Official Twitter Apps
I'm using  TwitterDeck and HootSuite. 

No comments: